Tuesday 30 April 2013

Beauty is the first test: exhibition at NCCD Sleaford





I have been chosen as a case study for this exhibition and it was great to see my work and the rest of the exhibition at the private view at The National Centre for Craft and Design, Sleaford, last week. The image above shows my ‘get off me’ mat and associated items, on the quirky furniture David Gates designed for the exhibition, with some of Michael Brennand-Wood’s lace in the background. I like the combination of Michael’s lace based on 16th century cutwork and mine referencing 19th century Bedfordshire lace, but both with a modern twist.


The exhibition explores how mathematical concepts underpin craft techniques and artistic development and features Michael Brennand-Wood; Suresh Dutt; Janice Gunner; Lesley Halliwell; Lucy McMullen; Janette Matthews; Peter Randall Page; Ann Sutton and Laura Thomas. The case studies of five makers (Carol Quarini, Gail Baxter, David Gates, Stella Harding, and Margo Selby) are also included. The exhibition runs from 29 April to 30 June 2013 at NCCD, Sleaford, and then transfers to Bilston Craft Gallery, Wolverhampton, in September. My case study included my lace mat, some of my antique lace bobbins, my sketchbook showing the design development, and a glossy booklet produced by the curator, Liz Cooper, describing my work and showing images of my practice.

No comments: