Thursday 13 June 2013

Beauty is the first test: a film by Electric Egg



As one of the five case studies in the Beauty exhibition I was videod in my studio last month by Steve and Neil from Electric Egg. They filmed me making lace, designing a pattern, winding bobbins, pricking a pattern and also interviewed me. They have now combined input from the five of us to produce a response to the theme of the exhibition and you can see it on Youtube or Vimeo. It gives a great idea of how craftspeople go about their work and shows how we all use maths in our practice and its fun working out whose hands you're seeing and whose voice you're hearing at any one time. The five case studies are Gail Baxter, David Gates, Stella Harding, Margo Selby, Carol Quarini. The film will be shown as part of the ‘Beauty is the first test’ exhibition which is at the National Centre for Craft & Design at Sleaford in Lincolnshire, until 30 June, it then tours to the Bilston Craft Gallery, Wolverhampton, from 7 September to 2 November, and will then be shown at the Platform Gallery, Clitheroe, from 16 January to 19 April 2014.

5 comments:

Sophie said...

Hi Carol, what a very interesting film! Thank you for sharing. I am following you and your blog with much interest, hope to see your work for real one day. I am an artist/historian currently researching antique and modern lace interpretations.

Carol Q said...

Hi Sophie, glad you liked it. Your research sounds fascinating are you sharing it anywhere?

Sophie said...

On my blog! Do check it out. I am hoping to go and see your work sometime but not sure yet - trying to be at the same place at the right time...;)

Carol Q said...

I love the blog - your research is fascinating and your art beautiful. What a great topic to be researching. Have you visited In fine style at the Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace - you would find it very inspirational.

Sophie said...

Thank you Carol! I so wish I could see your exhibition at the Crypt Gallery but alas I just got back from London...:(
I did see the exhibition at the Queens Gallery - it fits in perfectly with my project! Beautiful stuff on show there. Off to Honiton next.