Monday 22 September 2014

National Open Art Exhibition


 

I saw this mixed exhibition of work by emerging and professional artists at Somerset House. There is no theme and it includes a variety of media. My two favourite pieces were Rogan Brown’s ‘Outbreak’ in fine cut paper and Chrys Allen’s ‘Walk in progress: Bedrock’ which were hung together. Outbreak spoke of biological forms and lace-like layers of tissue. It reminded me of the work of Piper Shepard, or rather how her work would appear if it escaped from the gallery. The colours and images in Chrys Allen’s painting seemed to include the materials of the earth and it was displayed in a meandering fashion as if it were walking itself. I think what I like about both pieces is that they not only represent but actually embodied the subjects they covered.

No comments: