Friday 1 July 2016

Attaching lace to fabric


I know people have written books about the proper ways of attaching lace to fabric but I have to confess I usually just use a sewing machine or, as in this case, simple back stitch. The difference is that the pieces I’m making aren’t going to be laundered or undergo much practical use so I can get away with simple methods of attachment that aren’t particularly robust. Also, of course, sewing skills vary, as well as the time available for a project. I thought back stitch would be fine in this situation, as the veil isn’t going to be worn and I can sew along the footside, catching the net underneath, without the stitches being too noticeable on the front. I’m also sewing with the thread I used to make the lace so hopefully the stitching won’t show up too much.

No comments: